Monday, April 12, 2010

Cave Dweller

I live in a cave.

Yes. I live in a cave (or at least it feels like a cave). My house was built in the mid-70's. It has very few windows, dark oak paneling (the fancier kind of the 70's--wanting to paint it-but that in itself is another post), and very little overhead lighting.

It seems to me that people of that decade were into bell bottom pants (even wore those myself), teaching the world to sing in perfect harmony, crazy fringe on their clothes, and exploring their emotions. I guess the houses built at that time were meant to be secret dark dwellings.

All of this darkness in my home started me thinking about light vs. darkness. This world seems to be growing darker and darker, day by day, and even minute by minute. The news is depressing. The issues of teenagers are way over the top most days. And people in general seem to be more unhappier than ever before. Families that were once functional have now moved on over to the nonfunctioning side. Maybe as I am getting older, I am seeing more and more of these things. Or maybe we are truly nearing the end of our years on this earth.

Whatever the reason or reasons, I know one thing to be true. God has called me to be the salt and the light in this dark world. Just like in my home, I crave natural light. I dream of a bank of windows where the sun shines in. I want people of this world to be able to see Jesus as the Light of this world. I want the SON to shine on their lives.

John 12:46 tells us "I have come into the world as a light, so that no one who believes in me should stay in darkness".

So....what kind of light are you displaying for the world to see? Does it keep people in the dark? Is it a bright light? Or is it only the strength of a night light where people still stumble around? More importantly...are you gonna let it shine?


This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine.
This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine, let it shine, let it shine, let it shine.

Let it shine til Jesus comes.
I'm gonna let it shine.
Let it shine til Jesus comes.
I'm gonna let it shine, let it shine, let it shine, let it shine.



post signature

No comments: